BALLYA Gossypol Test is manufactured by BALLYA, it’s rapid test for detection the content of gossypol in feed, food and medicine, especially in feed and food. Lateral flow assay test base on the gold immunochromatography assay technology.
Gossypol is a kind of yellow polyphenol hydroxypaphthyl aldehyde compound, which mainly exists in the roots, stems, leaves and seeds of the mallow plant cotton, with the highest content in cotton seeds.
Gossypol is a polyphenolic substance extracted from the mature seeds and root bark of the Malvaceae plant cotton, tree cotton or Gossypium hirsutum. It has the effect of inhibiting spermatogenesis and sperm motility. It can be used as an effective male contraceptive.
Pharmacological effects of gossypol
After oral administration of gossypol, the drug is widely distributed in the body. Because it is difficult to pass through the blood-brain barrier and blood-testis barrier, the concentration in the brain tissue or the testis is extremely low.
What is Gossypol used for?
Only ruminant microflora can digest gossypol, and then only to a certain level, and cottonseed oil must be refined. Genetically engineered cotton plants that contain little gossypol in the seed may still contain the compound in the stems and leaves.
The dextrorotatory form of gossypol is ineffective, and the levorotatory form is the active ingredient. Therefore, the effect of L-gossypol is twice that of gossypol. In addition to being used as an oral male contraceptive, this product can also be used as an external spermicide; it is also used to treat gynecological diseases, including menorrhagia or disorders, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, etc.
What are the Gossypol side effects?
Problems with using gossypol
(1) Hypokalemia, gossypol can promote the synthesis of prostaglandins in the kidney tissues and inhibit the activity of potassium monosodium triphosphate adenosine, reducing the kidney's ability to retain potassium, which leads to hypokalemia.
(2) In permanent azoospermia, gossypol can cause atrophy of the seminiferous epithelium. However, there are great differences between individuals. Some people do not change the shape of the seminiferous epithelium after use; a few people may experience significant atrophy. It is still possible to restore fertility when part of it is damaged, but it cannot be restored if all is damaged, resulting in permanent infertility.
Toxicity of gossypol
Gossypol is a toxic substance that can cause redness and bleeding, loss of appetite, neurological disorders, weight loss, and affect fertility. Consumption of cotton wool oil containing more gossypol can cause poisoning. The patient's skin has a severe burning sensation, accompanied by dizziness, wheezing, palpitation and weakness. Therefore, wool cotton oil without special treatment is not edible.
The toxicity of gossypol can be eliminated by wet heat treatment. During this process, the aldehyde group of the gossypol molecule condenses with the amino group of the protein to form "bound gossypol", but the nutritional value of the protein is also greatly reduced in this process. Solvent extraction can be used to remove gossypol to make up for the above shortcomings.
Precautions for the use of gossypol
(1) There are mainly hypokalemia, muscle weakness, lethargy and loss of libido. Long-term application may have irreversible effects on testicular function.
(2) Patients with varicocele before taking the medicine are particularly prone to long-term or permanent damage to the seminiferous epithelium after taking gossypol. Therefore, those who need to restore the spermatogenic function should be checked and diagnosed in advance.
(3) If hypokalemia occurs, potassium salt can be supplemented orally or intravenously, potassium chloride 1 mg each time, 3 times a day.
(4) Use with caution for those with insufficiency of heart and liver function and low blood potassium.
Note: The above content is for reference only! Please strictly follow the instructions for use, don’t abuse, don’t misuse!
What specimen can be detected by BALLYA Gossypol Test?
Specimen include: all kinds of feed, food and medicine. Widely used in feed industry and food processing industry. You can choose the right products according to your needs.
Significance of testing Gossypol
To protect the animal have health feed, food and medicine, avoid contaminated food. The excess gossypol is harmful for animal being, can’t take too much in the body.
1. Take some feed or food specimen 2. Add the supernatant to cassette 3. Wait for 15 minutes to result 4. The details of operation, refer to the kit instruction
Limitations of BALLYA Gossypol Test?
BALLYA Gossypol Test is a qualitative test kit. It’s only for screening purpose. If have positive cases or suspected case, maybe use other detection method to make a further detection, such as, ELISA, PCR, qPCR, etc.
In recent years, the impact of gossypol on human health has received more and more attention, and the requirements for gossypol testing have become higher and higher. Due to the complex composition of various samples, the determination of gossypol is also more complicated. There are many methods for determining the content of gossypol, but not every method is suitable.
BALLYA Gossypol Test is suitable for the detection of hormone residues, toxic and harmful substances and antibiotic residues in feed, food and medicine.
It can be widely used in food and drug administration, health departments, higher education institutions, scientific research institutes, agricultural departments, animal husbandry and veterinarians, breeding farms, slaughterhouses, food and meat products deep processing enterprises, inspection and quarantine departments and other units.